Monday, February 27, 2012

My Aching Head

He is so charming...

"If I ever buy land by the wineries I'm going to set up a shop and sell stuff and Dad will work there. Don't worry, I'll pay you too even if you don't do anything so you can finally have some money. Cus you never have any money".

Me: "I'm cold".
A: "I'm not, only wimps get cold".

A had started getting headaches after school. I am the mom, as I'm sure many of you are, that automatically goes to worst case scenario. I am not the person that has the "it won't happen to me" attitude. Oh no, quite the opposite. I have the "If anything bad is gonna happen, it's gonna happen to me" attitude.
So anyway, the headaches. I did just watch it for a bit, waiting it out to see if it was an excuse to get out of doing things. Nope, it wasn't. On the day he didn't want to go see a movie and go to McDonald's with his grandma after school I decided to get to the bottom of the problem.
I called around and got him in to the first eye doc that would take him, thinking I would start there.

And at the eye doctor is where the quest to get to the bottom of the headache problem both began and ended. There was just the one little hiccup.
Doc: "Can I talk to outside a moment".
Me: *GULP* "yes".
Doc: "I think hes faking. I think he wants glasses so hes pretending his eyes are bad".
Me: "Ok, but I don't think he'd go as far to pretend headaches and such".
Doc: "Theres this thing I do with kids. I click it and make the sound but don't change anything. He keeps telling me its better or worse, when it is, in fact, the same" I have to dialate his eyes. I can't ignore a headache, a headache could mean anything including cancer of the eye. I have to rule that out".

REALLY DOCTOR? YOU JUST WENT STRAIGHT TO CANCER OF THE EYE WITH THE WORLD'S HUGEST HYPOCHONDRIAC MOM?

Me: (While slowly dying inside) Then dilate his eyes.

Dilate, wait, re-do the tests...

Doc: "Well, he needs glasses. He was just trying so hard to get them, he almost didn't get them. He had me convinced he didn't need them by trying to convince me he did".

A: "What? I get glasses?" Jumps off seat. " I want the blue ones! And can we go to Build A Bear and get Gracie glasses?"

I'm happy to report that hes had the glasses for probably about three weeks now, and we haven't had a single headache.

My little buddies in their new glasses




1 comment:

  1. I went through the headaches in my early teens due to needing glasses. They totally SUCK. So glad it wasn't anything major!

    Oh, and by the way, oh fantabulous blogger...I've awarded you The Versatile Blogger Award! Check it out at http://coffeewithcheryl.com/1835/the-versatile-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete